ASCENDING!
I can re member a time in my life when I was in the utmost healthy physical state. Although at that time, my spiritual and emotional states were completely unbalanced, my physical state was optimal. I was one of the fittest players on my basketball team and my life revolved around jogging to the gym, working out for an hour, cardio on the machines for 30 mins, basketball for 2 hours, sauna, shower and then a jog back home.
Push ups and sit ups were part of my daily routine just like facebook has become for almost everyone today.
However; sometimes Things Fall Apart.
I was child of a single mother, I became a political refugee the day of my eleventh birthday, I was subjected to racism in the United States, England and Canada as a child. My supposed father abandoned my mother and my self damn nearly from my conception. I was angry with the world, angry with the higher power (who at that time I was colonized into believing was a blue eyed white man named Jesus). In short, I was angry with the society that raised me. After a series of arguments and unbearable words that I am ashamed to admit I levied on my mother, I left her with no choice but to ask me to leave the house which began a life of instability and rage.
Needless to say, my work out regimens vanished into thin air. My desires to be healthy dwindled down the drain and succumbed to a basic need for survival. Having lost my passion for basketball (my first girlfriend) as an outlet I went on to forge a new lifelong companion (my poetry) whom I later married and we started rapping together. As a result of my basic need for emotional survival, I journeyed inwards to find my purpose on this earth and start manifesting it.
These experiences and instability turned me into a fierce believer in the power of chasing your dreams and seeing them through to reality, the power of turning the impossible into the possible, the power of SPINning the negative into the positive. I spent three months living with some very inspiring and powerful people in Bogwalk, Jamaica; teaching spanish (or attempting to) in a high school and growing immensely from the opportunity to live among the locals as a part of their community and welcomed as such. Around that time, I went back to my beautiful Guatemala to tour the country with a human rights delegation and learn the story that led to my exile as a political refugee. I was the only poet to perform in the 10th Annual Havana Hip Hop festival in Cuba; performed in Venezuela, Mexico, El Salvador and across sovereign Onkwehonwe (Indigenous) territories in the north. I even landed a dream job that I LOVE, and one of my proudest accomplishments:helped other peoples dreams come true.
With all that said, I did shift my physical health to the back burner as I started excelling in my artistic and professional lives. Which led to me almost a dying in 2008, you can hear more about that in my song Gunnin' For Your Health
I read an incredible book titled "There is POWER in Belief" by Lester Brown. This book inspired me because the brother featured in the story references a journey he made in his become a better man, believe in himself and take responsibility for the decisions he made that led him to a horrifying predicament. Part of his journey described was his quest to lose weight and the obstacles he overcame in doing so.
So here I am, chronicling my Journey Inwards.
CYCLE 0
Wuqub I'x / February 4, 2011
Joined a gym for first time in 15 years.
Waxaq'ib Tz'ikin / February 5, 2011
Did a full medical check up for the first time in 7 years. Weighed in at 375 lbs!
Belejeb Ajmaq /Sunday Feb 6, 2011
Cross Ramp machine 35 minutes of cardio. (405 calories burned)
FOOD: Tofu Chicken with spinach, ceviche, jalea (Peruana), half empanada, guacamol, Strawberry Pineapple juice (actual fruits & water), cream of coconut chicken soup, mango salad, Thai Iced Tea
Lajuj No'j / Monday Feb 7, 2011
Cross Ramp machine 35 minutes of cardio. (477 calories burned)
FOOD: 4 litros de agua, una manzana, un banano, arroz con curried goat, un meatball sub on whole wheat, curied potato & lentil soup & slice of whole wheat bread
Ju'lajuj Tijax / Tuesday Feb 8, 2011
Elliptical machine 35 minutes of cardio (460 calories burned)
FOOD: Kale salad with avocado, onion & garlic, 1 mango
Filete de pescado con casamiento, tostones y licuado de maracuya con agua
White chocolatte brownie
Two waffles with honey
Kab'lajuj Kawoq / Wednesday Feb 9, 2011
Elliptical machine 35 minutes of cardio (489.4 calories burned)
FOODtwo chicken patties & nutrament
Hero burger on whole wheat with fries and water
Kale salad with avocado, onion, apple cider vinegar & garlic
"Think or get thought on / Tomorrow is now youngin / Face Your Fears / Get in front of them / Life comes down to a few brief moments / THIS IS ONE OF THEM!"
Ox'Lajuj Ajpu / Thursday Feb 10, 2011
I broke my exercise cycle this morning due to an investment of time with loved ones throughout the day. I did go get my results from the Doctor for my physical and I am thankfully in a healthy internal state overall with the exception of my cholesterol levels which I need to bring down on my own.
This has been a blessing for me and a motivation from the Ajaw to continue forging the path ahead that lies before me. Although my cosmology indicates that I will have good health, I have no explicable reason or targetted actions to combat 10 years of poor habits and lethargy beyond these past few months, and even then, the efforts have not been optimal.
Irrespective, I have been blessed.
Jun Imox / Friday Feb 11, 2011
Boarded a plane to Vancouver, had a healthy breakfast, fucked up lunch. Performed on stage that night.
Healthy breakfast (Kale, lime, avocado, onion & garlic) and late lunch, declined dinner because I was still full. One major commitment I've made to my self in this journey inwards is to decline food when I am not hungry.
Oxib Aq'ab'al / Sunday Feb 13, 2011
Acupuncture session in the morning targetting needed areas.
Job Kan / Tuesday Feb 15, 2011
Mainly inactive today. I did spit in a cipher & performed, felt better breath control.
Waqib Kame / Wednesday Feb 16, 2011
Healthy breakfast and lunch. 30 mins walk. Lots of water.
Wuqub Kej (1st day of 5 day month of days out of time, knowns as the Wayeb in the Ab calendar)
Thursday Feb 17, 201120 minute walk by the beach to harmonize with nature and reflect on my past, present and future.
Waxaq'ib Q'anil / Friday Feb 18, 2011
Belejeb Toj / Saturday Feb 19, 2011
Mayan Ceremony to celebrate Toj
Lajuj Tz'i / Sunday Feb 20, 2011
Ju'Lajuj B'atz' / Monday Feb 21, 2011
Kab'Lajuj E, Jun Pop 1st day & month of Mayan New Year in the Ab calendar (365 days)
Tuesday Feb 22, 2011
Mayan ceremony to welcome new year.
Ox'Lajuj Aj / Wednesday Feb 23, 2011
35 minutes on elliptical machine
CYCLE 1
Jun I'x / Thursday Feb 24, 2011
35 minutes on elliptical machine
Weighed my self at 383 lbs! Need to confirm because I feel much lighter, however, this is also motivational.Keb Tz'ikin / Friday Feb 25, 2011
Broke discipline today, had a fried fish dinner, with french fries and chilli. Though it was delicious, it was definitely not helpful.
Kajib No'j / Sunday Feb 27, 2011
35 minutes on elliptical machine
Job Tijax / Monday Feb 28, 2011
Waqib Kawoq / Tuesday March 1st, 2011
Wuqub Ajpu / Wednesday March 2nd, 2011
Waxaqib Imox / Thursday March 3rd, 2011
Belejeb Iq / Friday March 4, 2011
Lajuj Aq'ab'al / Saturday March 5, 2011
Ju'Lajuj K'at / Sunday March 6, 2011
Kab'Lajuj Kan / Monday March 7, 2011
OxLajuj Kame / Tuesday March 8, 2011
33 mins Elliptical machine, 502 calories
Jun Kej / Wednesday March 9, 2011
Keb Q'anil / Thursday March 10, 2011
Oxib Toj / Friday March 11, 2011
Kajib Tz'i' / Saturday March 12, 2011
33 mins Elliptical machine, 526.5 calories
Job B'atz' / Sunday March 13, 2011
Waqib E / Monday March 14, 2011
33 mins Elliptical machine, 566.8 calories
33 mins CrossRamp, 565.3 calories CR 7 & 13, Resistance 7 & 13